Many thanks to all who recommended resources.

When I arrived at my first Canadian college English dept. (as someone
with an American training) it felt like I'd landed on Mars.  I
couldn't understand why the five-paragraph essay style was de rigeur,
and why curricula which grew out of textbook choices (rather than
actual writing practice) held such immense sway.

In any event, the resources you've pointed toward all seem like a
good place to start re-thinking.  I'm quite grateful.

-marc c.