Hi Theresa,

Thanks for the thoughtful comments on the eve of All Saints' Day.

Though I, as noted, have never seen (as student, teacher or
citizen-reader) the famous 5-para essay, many Inkshedders have, and seem
to have mixed views on the utility / uselessness of the thing.  If I had
to guess, I'd guess that the form was created out of thin air (i.e.,
with few real-world antecedents) by teachers for teaching purposes (for
better or worse).  If I'm right about this, it's a funny kind of
"model."  There are, in the real world, personal essays of various ilks,
proselytizing / agitating essays (e.g., Payne, Burke, Coleridge),
academic / critical essays, etc., all the fruit of genuine rhetorical
exigencies.  If studying models is useful (and I think, to a limited
extent, it can be) then you'd think it might be wise to . . . well, I'm
winging it here:
-  study a variety of essays (maybe even avoiding the term "essay" and
using instead "short non-fiction")
-  maybe, just maybe, for the genre-minded, develop a taxonomy of types
-  start with a genuine rhetorical need (which typically, can only be
determined by the writer), and write an "essay" (any length, any
organizational pattern)
-  emphasize / enable revision
-  let the seed find its soil, i.e., let the real audience really read
it . . . and provide feedback

Of course this rhetorically-minded approach presumes that
getting-better-at-writing-essays is a good thing (and it may be, for
some folks).  But unless the student is a lit student, he or she might
benefit a lot more from getting better at writing filmscripts or love
emails or buy-sell recommendations or pre-nuptial contracts or graphic
novels or . . . .

As to Lucifer, I rather like the chap, at least Milton's version.  He
never wrote a 5-para essay, and was a very persuasive fellah who knew
how to rise to the kairos-occasion.

Jamie