To add to Roger's annecdote, I was tutor an OAC level high school student a few years ago as she completed her final English paper.  She had been given a format so prescriptive that it made the 5pe look loose.  Not only was she told how many sections and what order, but she had a phrase that had to be used at the beginning of the first paragraph in each section.

Yikes!  I was hard pressed not to complain about the antiquated and controlling format.  I hope my "help" turned out to be just that--and not something that caused her to lose marks for format deviation.

Professor Sandy Dorley
School of Liberal Studies
Conestoga College, Kitchener, ON
519-748-5220 x3819