Grave's book and Smith's article are extremely useful, and they would be
great places to start.  I've also found the following articles helpful:

Brooks, Kevin."National Culture and the First-Year English Curriculum: A
Historical Study of "Composition" in Canadian Universities." American
Review of Canadian Studies 32.4 (2002): 673-692.

Hubert, Henry.  “A History of College Rhetoric in the U.S and Canada:
Different Traditions.” Ed. Sandy P. Baardman, Stanley B. Straw, Laura E.
Atkinson. Winnipeg, Manitoba: Literacy Publications, 1994.

Johnson, Nan."Rhetoric and Belles Lettres in the Canadian Academy: an
Historical Analysis." College English 50.8 (1988): 861-873.

Kearns, Judith and Brian Turner."Negotiated Independence: How a Canadian
Writing Program Became a Centre." Writing Program Administration 21.1
(1997) 28-43.

Hope that helps!
Renée

The most current thinking about this issue I know of is in Roger