From: CASLL/Inkshed [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Sandy Dorley
Sent: October 26, 2005 5:08 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Composition and Canada

Before we dismiss it out of hand,  there is a time and a place for such structures as the 5 paragraph theme.  The problem is not that they exist--they are quite useful in some cases with novice writers and simple subjects.  The problem is that they have a limited shelf life.

Most of my colleagues try to show students that writing needs a structure--but that it is a fluid rather than rigid one.  But a writing structure based on audience analysis, role, and purpose seems way too moveable for a student writer who is struggling with making meaning.

Having said all that--there are days when I sit grading a stack of first-year papers and would be happy to find a 5 paragraph theme in the bunch.

Professor Sandy Dorley
School of Liberal Studies
Conestoga College, Kitchener, ON
519-748-5220 x3819