Hello All.  Just to contribute my two cents worth, I remember taking an
undergraduate political science class some years ago.  I'll never forget our
very first examination, which consisted of about 25 questions, all of which
were "fill in the blank," and all of which went something like this: "In the
United States, people of what discipline are most qualified to decide when a
fetus is a viable human being," or "...what medical research is the most
important to fund," etc., etc.  The questions were on all sorts of topics, but
the answer to each and every one--we all shuddered when we got our exams
back--was "politics."  Bottom line: It *is* important who's running our
government.  It *is* important who's influencing the decisions of our
lawmakers.  We tend to get upset when someone doesn't like the same
politicians that we do, but we have good reason.  We all want people in office
who will respond the way we want them to respond on issues critical to us.  If
only we could discuss politics sensibly and without getting angry....  Scott
Antes

Scott E. Antes
Department of Anthropology
Northern Arizona University