Dear List members,

Just wish to pass along some interesting information that I've gathered  over
the past few days regarding two biotech companies engaged in clinical
studies focused on gene therapies for neurodegenerative disorders. The  companies:
Ceregene and Neurologix both have studies underway involving in  vivo (inside
the body) gene therapy utilizing a non-replicating viral vector to  deliver
therapeutic genes to the nervous system.

Ceregene has initiated a Phase 1 study of CERE-120 to treat Parkinson's
disease.  The study is being conducted at the U. of California, San  Francisco
Medical center and Rush University Medical Center in Chicago.   CERE-120 is a
novel gene therapy that delivers the neurturin (NTN) gene via an
adeno-associated virus (AAV) type 2 vector delivery system.  Neurturin is a  member of the
same protein family as GDNF and they have similar pharmacological  properties.

 Many of us are aware of, have been disturbed by and have attempted to
intervene in Amgen's decision to halt their trial of GDNF in spite  of the positive
results that the patients reported while receiving  GDNF therapy. These
patients have been struggling to persuade Amgen to  continue to administer GDNF to
them so that they can maintain the improvements  they've realized with this
treatment but Amgen has refused claiming that  the drug wasn't effective and had
safety concerns.  Since Neurturin and  GDNF are in the same protein family
and have similar characteristics in  maintaining survival of dopamine-producing
nerve cells, I am heartened  to know that Ceregene is actively researching
this closely  related protein. I recently spoke with Don Lee, a research
assistant at  Ceregene and I understand that there are 12 people involved in their
study   6 at U.C. and 6 at Rush.

Neurologix has recently announced positive interim results of their Phase  1
trial of their core technology referred to as "NLX".  Twelve  patients in
total have undergone gene transfer in this trial, four in each of  three dose
cohorts.  On speaking with Dr. Martin Kaplitt, I gained a better  understanding of
the goals they hope to attain with this treatment.   It seems that the
effects of this treatment would be similar to those achieved  with STN Deep Brain
Stimulation but with less invasive surgery and hardware  involved.  The
procedure involves the infusion of AAV-GAD via a hair-thin  catheter into the
subthalamic nucleus.  After the infusion period, the  delivery catheter is withdrawn
and the incision closed.  No hardware is  left behind following this procedure.
 GAD (glutamic acid decarboxylase) is  an enzyme which synthesizes the major
inhibitory neurotransmitter in the brain,  (gamma)-aminobutyric acid (GABA).
GABA has been shown to have a calming  effect on the subthalamic nucleus thus
providing improvement of motor  function in Parkinson's patients similar to
that experienced with  DBS.

 Although there have been many preceding years of education and  experience
in this field the studies being conducted by these companies  are in relatively
early stages.  Still, I am always encouraged by  and grateful for the work
that is going on in gene therapy for neurodegenerative  disorders and wished to
share it with you today.

Dee