Amanda,
 Isn't a person that is unconscious, perhaps under anesthesia a living being?  How about a 6 month fetus, that could live if it were born.  The prenatal age of viability keeps getting pushed back farther and farther.  Maybe it will be 5 months.  Isn't it still a person? If it is born full term, it requires constant attention to keep it alive.  Isn't it still a person?  That frozen lump, it's not a dog or a monkey, it's human. Given food and oxygen it will be a person.  I personally think person hood begins at implantation, but this does give room for ethical studies. It's not cut and dried and not necessarily the way we want it to be.
Paula

Amanda Phillips <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
hang on - person = conscious individual = living being, which not = small
frozen lump with no functions indicating the above ?