            Parkinson's Research Program in Jeopardy

                  URGENT Help Needed for NETRP Take Action!

                  Contact Congress NOW to Save this Program!

                  URGENT!  The House of Representatives and the Senate have completed their versions of the Department of Defense Appropriations bill for fiscal year 2006.  The House allocated $26.5 million for the U.S. Army Neurotoxin Exposure Treatment Research Program (NETRP).  However, the Senate bill as written does not provide ANY funding for critical NETRP Parkinson's disease research.  If we don't get the $26.5 million placed back in the bill, the NETRP will no longer exist.  Remember, this is the only Parkinson's specific research program in the Department of Defense.

                  Once the Senate passes the bill next week, the next step in the process is for House and Senate Defense subcommittee members to meet in a conference committee to work out the differences between the two versions of the bill.  This conference committee is expected to meet as early as the end of next week.

                  We must tell all members of the House of Representatives and Senate the NETRP is important because it funds research that has implications for Parkinson's patients as well as our soldiers abroad.  This funding is particularly important because it specifically targets innovative research into neurodegenerative diseases such as Parkinson's.

                  Action Needed:
                  Everyone in the Parkinson's community should call his/her U.S. Representative AND U.S. Senators NOW and ask them to:

                  *Contact their colleagues on the Defense Appropriations subcommittees to ask for their strong support for the $26.5 million provided for NETRP by the House of Representatives.*

            If you no longer wish to receive e-mail from us, please