By Michael F. Flach
Herald Staff Writer
(From the issue of 9/29/05)

"It is a huge challenge to establish a dispassionate assessment of the stem-cell debate," said Father Tadeusz Pacholczyk, director of education for the National Catholic Bioethics Center. "We have to have ethical and moral guidelines in our research. Science without ethics is a recipe for disaster."

Unless there's a complete change of minds and hearts, the future doesn't look bright for pro-life supporters, he said. He described a scenario where "fetal farms" would be established to harvest organs from aborted babies.

Stem-cell research, in vitro fertilization and human cloning were among the topics examined by Father Pacholczyk during a two-day workshop last week at St. Agnes Church in Arlington. The discussion was sponsored by the Diocesan Office for Family Life.