Greyling,  You've offered the best perspective I've heard on this topic
yet.  Keep it up!   All the best, Geo.

             "Gentry,
             Greyling"
             <greyling.gentry@                                          To
             HP.COM>                   [log in to unmask]
             Parkinson's
             Information                                           Subject
             Exchange Network          Re: Arguments pleaseKF
             <PARKINSN@LISTSER
             V.UTORONTO.CA>

             09/29/05 02:36 PM

             Please respond to
                Parkinson's
                Information
             Exchange Network
             <PARKINSN@LISTSER
              V.UTORONTO.CA>

Well, I'm probably too new to have a valid opinion. But please know that I
LOVE this list and read every post with great interest. I print things off
and send them to my mom, and she is deeply grateful for the new information
and heartfelt support that comes out of this group.

I value open discourse above just about every other aspect of a living
democracy. From my point of view, this list is ALIVE AND KICKING! I LOVE
that you people are passionate and involved. I LOVE that you are, despite
your religious and political differences, still committed to spending
significant time and energy pursuing causes and cures. I LOVE reading
EVERYONE'S comments!

Am I naïve because I don't think the list is filled with "hatred" and
"blatantly political rantings"? Because a cure costs money, and because
research money has to come from the US government, PD is automatically
politicized to some extent. That may not be so elsewhere but the nature of
health research here makes it that way for Americans. We really can't
change that, and for some of us it is very frustrating. SO WHAT?!?! We
still go on. We still read every word on the topic and forward it along to
others in hope that they'll find it useful. We still offer empathy to
newcomers and compassion to long-time sufferers, and share sorrow over lost
comrades. We still unite in actions that will speed the search for a cure.

PD doesn't care if you're red, blue or green; rich, poor or in between. It
will come after you, steal your energy, your strength and, at times, your
will to go on living. In-fighting is the LAST thing we should be doing.
Time is precious to everyone -- and ten times more so to those with PD.

PLEASE. LET'S NOT TAKE THIS ALL SO PERSONALLY. WE ARE ALL ENTITLED TO
EXPRESS OUR OPINIONS. IN FACT, IT'S HEALTHY TO DO SO. THIS IS STILL A SAFE
PLACE AND EXTREMEMLY VALUABLE RESOURCE FOR ALL OF US. WE CAN LEARN TO BE
LESS THIN-SKINNED AND ACCEPT SOME CRITICISM ALONG THE WAY. THIS IS A PUBLIC
FORUM SO LET'S ALL KEEP TALKING AND BE WILLING TO TAKE OUR LICKS WHEN FOLKS
DON'T AGREE WITH US. IT'S PERFECTLY NATURAL AND OK THAT WE ARE OPINIONATED.
IT'S NOT ONE BIT OK IF WE QUIT FIGHTING THIS DISEASE AND CHOOSE TO STOP
HELPING EACH OTHER.

~ Greyling