Hi Ray,
 I know how confusing all this can be. My husband had DBS in June, and to
get information I have been on the phone with Medtronics numerous times.
Since Parkinsons patients rarely turn off their stimulator, disabling the
magnetic switch has very few drawbacks. If you have Medtronics' newer models
the Access Therapy Controller can turn off the stimulator, and back on
again, even with the magnetic switch disabled. If you do not have the
controller (looks like a large, oldfashioned remote control), you would have
to see a programmer every time you need a medical procedure where the
stimulator needs to be off.
Good luck
Trauti