Ray wrote:
> The best recourse is to not get this disease at all.  Perhaps someday
> there
> will be a vaccine like for uterine cancer.

Before we prevent PD, we have to know what causes it - and we don't.  I
wonder how much research is going on in that field?

>Sen. Sam
> Brownback working to criminalize it if it involves embryonic stem cells,
> which some folks like to confuse with  fetal cells.

I think the American people are far ahead of Brownback in understanding the
issue.  People who are waaay on the right and waaaay on the left are seldom
taken seriously by majority of the population.

> I don't know if you ever get outside this site or not, but there is plenty
> of nitpicking going on about the ethics of this research among those who
> have the luxury of good health .

I'm one of those.  There is stuff going on in this research that is more
than a bit scary.  Throwing caution to the wind when developing new forms of
genetic material is downright dangerous.

Yesterday, the wife of a Shy-Drager patient told me that a friend of her's
had a stem cell implant.  While he was functional before, he is totally
debilitated now because of that surgery.  She was not a fan of stem cell
implants.

> Meantime, I see children on TV with terminal cancer while we wait to
> satisfy
> those who make  our laws and determine our futures.

I'm all for curing cancer - there are many avenues in which that can be
accomplished and we have made *tremendous* strides in successfully treated
many forms of cancer.  You are an example of that.  Stem cell research is no
panacea - to claim that it will cure cancer or PD or anything else is a
stretch at this point.  We don't know what it will do - when you introduce
new genetic material into the body virtually anything can happen.>

> The California stem cell research is stalled in litigation, the Mary Scott
> Doe case claiming personhood under the 14th amendment for embryos.

When the people of California have spoken, I (like you) resent the fact that
someone can prevent research from going forward  That's terrible.
God bless
Mary Ann (CG Jamie 65/25 with PD)