Mary Ann wrote:
  The best recourse is for every state to
> address this research and pass laws that meet the needs of their
> particularly population - as California has done.

Hi Mary Ann,
 Oregon voters twice passed Death with Dignity initiatives to meet the needs of their citizens, and this administration is fighting them all the way to the US Supreme Court. There is no reason to believe that they would behave differently with initiatives dealing with stem cell research. On either the federal or state levels these neo conservative "culture warriors" will no more stop their assault on our personal lives and decisions than would the Iranian ayatollahs. Both are engaged in identity politics - NOT religious or civic debate.
Just look at the hyperbole you find on this forum around stem cell research and  Parkinson's... you can ally yourself with the "godly people" or those who run "fetal farms". That's no different than the choice of allying yourself with either the ayatollahs or "The Great Satan".
Contrast that with Nina Brown's 10/9 posting. She and her husband Joe present their thoughts on embryonic stem cell research, with a religious point of view. I thank them for that, it's a relief to have views like theirs presented in such a calm and thoughtful manner. I hope they share their thoughts with their state and federal officials because I think the last things we should do is allow the awareness of our disease to fade from the attention of state and federal officials, or let the debates about stem cell research or any other topic be framed just by extremists.

Joe