How true, K.F. For example, until about ten years ago the exit poll was
widely respected as the undisputed statistical sampling tool of choice.
Suddenly, the public lost faith in this most established and reliable
measurement standard. Though used "religiously" throughout all of
academia, we voters were told not to believe in statistical sampling
because it could somehow reflect a bias. Instead, we were to believe in
the efficacy and trustworthiness of computerized paperless voting
machines and tabulators running proprietary software with proven
security holes. Never mind that all the companies selling these "black
boxes" were owned by the same handful of right wing Republican insiders,
or that there was no way to authenticate or audit the count. Rapidly, so
fast it has made my head spin, a country that prided itself on free
elections has become just another casualty in the age-old war for
grotesque accumulation of wealth and power. How complacent we can
become. And how quickly things can change!

I know this isn't strictly PWP related but I figured if we're going off
topic, I'd rather bring us round to something more important and less
ethereal than ID. I'm done trying to talk rationally with people who
seriously believe they're going to be lifted naked from their cars and
condos at any moment and taken up into the sky so they can watch the
rest of humanity fry. As they say in Hawaii, "Waste time already."

~ Greyling