Hi Ray.
To tie this in with our list, much research has been done of the power of
prayer in healing, but I've never seen any research done on the power of
non-religious people to heal.  I'd like to see that research if it's
available.  After all, I know some darned healthy atheists!  I agree with
you wholeheartedly that atheists (using the term loosely to encompass all
non-religious people) are some of the most terrific people I know.  As an
aside, I wish I could find the poll results I saw a few years back, in
which the majority of people polled would rather have a non-religious
person for a neighbor than a religious one.  The main reason that the
majority gave for their decision was that a non-religious person has no
agenda to push, and lends a helping hand because he or she is a good
person, period.  I remember showing that poll to my students, but I've
since misplaced it.  Anyway, I appreciated your posting. Scott