.
Joe wrote:
I'm not discounting Natural Selection or the idea that the older you are the
more likely you will be sick but I don't think Nature acts to deliberately
weed out the old in order to make room for offspring, indeed one theory is
that having older members of a tribe around, especially grandmothers, leads
to higher survival rates for the children
-------------
On the contrary, the well understood process of aging in humans points to
the actual breaking down of the body.  Anyone who has watched a person reach
their 80s (and beyond) will notice that weight is lost, the appetite
decreases, movement slows, bones become brittle and the immune system fails.
Slowly, nature insures that the elderly will be eliminated.

While it is true that grandmothers were essential for the success of the
human race (watched the kids while mom and dad sought food for the tribe),
please keep in mind that those grandmothers were probably in their late
thirties and forties.  It was extremely rare for grandma to reach 80 way
back when moving quickly through the savanna was essential in order not to
be eaten.

PD is certainly another way that the body breaks down.  The big question
is....why and how does the disease occur?
---------
God bless
Mary Ann (CG Jamie 66/26 with PD)