Parkinson's Drug May Help Ease Chronic Pain

Mirapex Stimulates Dopamine Receptors In Brain

POSTED: 3:13 pm PDT October 18, 2005
UPDATED: 5:38 pm PDT October 18, 2005
SAN DIEGO -- A drug used to treat patients with Parkinson's Disease may ease
the pain of patients with severe symptoms from fibromyalgia.

New research shows the pain associated with this disease may be due to
abnormal sensory processing in the central nervous system.

Michelle Kennington, a former dance instructor, is in constant pain. She
suffers from fibromyalgia, a chronic pain disorder marked by widespread
muscular and joint pain. As of yet, there is no real effective treatment,
10News reported.

"There are days when I know I am going to be in bed most of the day,"
Kennington told 10News. "If somebody had the magic bullet for this they would
get the Nobel prize."

"At the beginning, it hurt in my legs only and slowly it went to my arms,
shoulders and my back and now it's my whole body," Kennington added.

Dr. Joseph Shurman runs the pain clinic at Scripps Memorial Hospital in La
Jolla. He said fibromyalgia patients like Kennington are desperate for
relief.

"They have tried every drug, every anti-depressant, opoids, physical therapy,
bio-feedback," Shurman said.

Now, a little pill currently used to treat patients suffering from Parkinson's
disease may ease the pain for patients with fibromyalgia.

The drug, called Mirapex, stimulates dopamine receptors in the brain.

(The medicine) works on the dopamine receptor and affects muscle stiffness,
behavior patterns, pain and sleep. In this particular study, patients lose
weight, 10News reported.

In a small study, fibromyalgia patients who were given Mirapex experienced at
least a 50 percent reduction in pain compared with 14 percent of those in the
placebo group.

Kennington, who is taking the drug for another medical problem, said her pain
doesn't seem as severe lately. She hopes this medication will ease pain for
others with this fibromyalgia.

The Food and Drug Administration has not yet approved Mirapex for treatment of
fibromyalgia and there are some significant side effects, including weight
loss, increased anxiety and sleeplessness.