The Scots, by learning how stem cells behave may learn causes of diseases:

This is a continuation of the article on the Scot's progress in turning ESCs into brain cells.

"In the short term, the technique will allow scientists to develop cell cultures for their research. "We'll use them in the basic biology sense to try to understand how stem cells work," Professor Pollard said. "It's a good opportunity to understand what the difference is between an embryonic stem cell, which can make anything, and a brain stem cell, which can just make brain."

Through genetic modification, scientists will also use the technique to mimic brain diseases.

Tim Allsopp, the chief scientific officer of Stem Cell Science, the company given an exclusive license to commercialize the research, said: "The remarkable stability and purity of the cells is something unique in the field of tissue stem cells and a great step forward.

We have already had a number of approaches from pharmaceutical companies interested in using these cells to test and develop new drugs, and are looking forward to working with them to further develop and license the technology," informs Guardian.