There is one of those entertaining ads in todays NY Times by ExxonMobil
on the editorial page. It explains that oil companies make only average
profit (2Q 2005), pre Katrina. But that is only part of what got my
attention. Wanna know who gets the highest profits? You guessed it,
Pharmaceuticals at 18.6% profit, right after number one, Banks with
19.6% profits. So there is part of the reason why drugs are so
expensive.  So don't get sick.  Now, rounded,  1/5  profit ain't bad.
All US industry has a 7.9% profit.

 I guess both drugs and energy have a rather inelastic demand ie. a
small shortage drives the price up very steeply, which is what we are
seeing now in energy. An interesting sidelight is something I heard
today on NPR (National Public Radio). The statement was that the oil
companies do not control the price of their product, it is the commodity
traders. So the oil companies apparently have only limited control of
the prices. I have wondered why the oil companies cannot be public
minded and cut the prices; apparently they cannot because the traders
drive the price up or down depending on the available supplies. So the
oil companies now enjoy exorbitant profits because of the shortages.
Create a shortage ....
K. F.