I hate to disillusion anyone, but I work in a government office and know how
things are done.  From her title, it sounds like Ms. Murer's job is to run a
staff that turns out bushels of "clearly personally written" letters.

Nothing wrong with that: Mr. Bush's predecessors did the same thing.  On the
flip side, on issues that get a lot of traffic, they keep track of how many
writers are "for" or "against" the President's position.  So, letters are a
good way to influence the government, but don't expect anyone to grapple
with your finely crafted arguments.

> Today in my mailbox was a clearly personally written letter from
> Marguerite
> Murer, Special Assistant to the President and Director of Presidential
> Correspondence.  I didn't expect a letter from Bush, but at least somebody
> high up read it.

Arnie