Back in mid August, I wrote a letter to President Bush concerning stem cells
and HR 810, a bill requesting the use of federal research funds using excess
embryos from fertility clinics.  I shared the letter with this forum.

See
http://parkinsons-information-exchange-network-online.com/parkmail1.1/2005c/
msg00271.html

Today in my mailbox was a clearly personally written letter from Marguerite
Murer, Special Assistant to the President and Director of Presidential
Correspondence.  I didn't expect a letter from Bush, but at least somebody
high up read it.  An excerpt from Ms. Murer's letter said, "In making a
decision on the use of Federal funds for embryonic stem cell research, the
President's position was shaped by deeply held beliefs in both the sanctity
of human life and the potential of science and medicine to help humanity.
He has given this issue a great deal of study, thought, prayer, and
reflection."

A "Fact sheet"  on stem cell research was enclosed with information on the
President's position.  It 2 full pages  composed of bits and pieces from his
website www.whitehouse.gov with this quote at the top:  "I believe America
must pursue the tremendous possibilities of science, and I believe we can do
so while still fostering and encouraging respect for human life in all its
stages." (dated May 24, 2005)  This was the day that the President endorsed
embryo adoption, holding up a little boy named Tanner, born from such
science.

Further quotes on May 24 were:  "The children here today remind us that
there is no such thing as a spare embryo. Every embryo is unique and
genetically complete, like every other human being. And each of us started
out our life this way. These lives are not raw material to be exploited, but
gifts. And I commend each of the families here today for accepting the gift
of these children and offering them the gift of your love."  And what's
ironic is I agree with him to a point.

I have a few unanswered questions for the President on this issue.  If there
is no such thing as a spare embryo, why are these 400,000 frozen embryos
stored in US fertility clinics going to be destroyed (if not "adopted")?
Why are the "bad" fertilized eggs (embryos) culled before implantation into
the mother's womb?  What about all those embryos that don't take (as many as
3 or more can be implanted at one fertilization attempt)?  The questions can
go on and on.  Bottom line is this, no matter WHEN one feels life begins
(and I happen to think it's not a viable life until implanted in the
uterus), there is a DOUBLE STANDARD and INCONSISTENTSIES in the present
policy.  If he feels ALL embryos are life, then there are a lot of lives
going to be destroyed when they could be used for research for diseases
affecting millions of people already living.

The Senate vote for stem cell expansion has been postponed until next year,
which is understandable with all the natural disaster damage.  But let's not
let our congressmen and people undecided out there forget what is at stake
in this vote.  For just a few of the successful studies using stem cells,
read Rep. Mike Castle's, author of HR 810, letter of support at
http://www.parkinsonsaction.org/castleletteronstemcell.htm

Continue to speak out in favor of this bill - write letters to local
newspaper editors - pass out fact sheets, etc.  Your future depends on it!

Peggy