I think if I was a major league ball player, I wouldn't be one of the
noble greats who leave the game before they have to.  I would play
until I couldn't make a team, just for the love of the game.  What do
you mean?  No, the $3 million a year has nothing to do with it!

Actually, Scott, the thing that's getting me down a bit right now is
the fact that I have so many commitments, most having to do with
bringing in a few bucks, that I can't work on my playing the way I
need to.  I can still get through a rock or blues gig fine.  Most of
that stuff is 'flash and trash', as my college prof used to say.  'But
I like it, like it, yes I do!'  I feel like I still have some years
left before I can't fake it anymore.  I find that the individual
identity of each finger is what's diminishing, ever so slowly.  But I
still have the 'groove', and if you have that, you can rock til you're
blue in the mouth.

But actually, there's a bigger fear than playing wrong notes in public
(like that's never happened before).  I think about being a spectacle
off stage.  If I had to hang around numerous venues between sets and
waddle and wobble and wiggle, which I do a little bit now, it would be
hard for people and me to feel comfortable with it.  (Hey!  This could
be a way to get people to move my gear for me!)  This would lead to me
explaining myself and PD quite a bit, which wouldn't be the worst
thing politically, but the bar owner might look a bit perturbed (like
that's never happened before).  Once it gets back to the booking
agent, then you have a problem, 'cause word, like rot, would spread
around town fast, and then the phone stops ringing and you're done.

I have a bunch of piano students, and pretty soon I'm going to have to
tell them why my arm shakes during lessons.  I'll have to start
sitting behind them while they play, instead of beside them.

I short, I may be going down, but I'm going to take as many of them
with me as I can.  And afterwards, my son can entertain me.  We have
similar, broad tastes, (Hey, get your mind out of the gutter!) and
he's recently done his first few decent-paying gigs with a band.  I am
blessed with a wonderful wife and family, so I'm sure I'll be fine,
whatever happens to me professionally.

I also think of my mom, a painter, who had her abilities taken away by
a stroke a few years back.  She's in a home now, and they've been
trying to encourage her to try some sketching with her left
(non-dominant) hand, and she's been doing a bit.  Such a struggle for
her.  I got it great in comparison.

Enjoy Fall!
Rick McGirr
Email: [log in to unmask]