Mary Ann,

How did you arrive at such a conclusion? Who's to say your husband would
even had had PD and died in his 38th year? The fact is PD has, I believe,
up until the late 1970's affected older people (>65), predominately men.
Who's to say the rest of you would have had a  serious illness. What we
should be doing is looking at identifying the cause/s and,  only by doing
so, produce effective cure/s and therapy/s; and not a cocktail of drug's
and in some cases surgery that only suppress/control the symptoms.

It is true that Science and Technology will develop the answers but it is
also true that they are responsible for many of the causes too. From the
invention of the steam engine in the late 1700's to the techhnology
supporting/enabling the world-wide internet, today, Science has generated
much good but also much pollution and destruction; and I believe is a
factor in increased stress levels, in that we are expected to do things
much faster with less resources; and we have to adapt more freequently to
advancements in our lifetime than say a 100years.

You say'humankind' is fighting(my word) mother nature with science. The
thing is we are part of nature but we are arrogant and believe we can
control her. We never will, just like we never will develop a computer
more powerful than the brain; even mine.

I believe we, today, are paying the price for the so called advances,
which have only one goal/objective: profitability - short term, i.e.
1year; We are it's victims which have no place on any balance sheet.

I don't think we should look back but forward; use science but also get
them to identify, accept and correct their mistakes

I speak from personal experience in that the anti-depressant, Prothiaden,
which I took fo 18 mths, induced my PD. The drug was (quietly) withdrawn.

So, I think allowing the development of SC therapy, aside of the moral and
ethical issues, is highly dangerous. Why? Because each case of PD is
unique, therefore, how much do they implant? To little=(possible)
little/no change; to much=hyper activity; and it can't be reversed.

These are my personal thoughts and are in no way a criticism of you or any
member.

Finally, I do believe in God and have never blamed him; never said why me?
The day I was diagnosed I looked up to the heavens and said, "this is a
tough one which you'(god) are going to have to help me with". The Neuro
said, the part of the brain was prematurely dying. It wasn't dead. My
glass was half-full, not empty. That was 12yrs ago and other than weak
legs I'm ok. Cigarettes, Cigars, Espresso coffee and wine will kill me
first. Unforunately there's no 'women or song' LOL.

best wishes,

Marco
Ray, what attitude are your talking about????  This is not a discussion
> about the modern methods of medicine - this is a discussion about natural
> selection.
>
> Not more than 50 years ago, children with diabetes and cystic fibrosis
> died
> at an early age.   I never implied that was good - I was merely pointing
> out
> that the weak and infirm died early in the natural, or medically inferior,
> environment.  Mother Nature is not kind.  Science  has intervened to
> insure
> that humankind survives despite weaknesses in genetic make-up.
>
> In our family, we have had the discussion of who would have survived had
> we
> been born 100 years ago.  The only person in our family of 9 (including
> in-law kids and 1 grandchild) was my husband (with PD) who would have died
> at the age of 38 (from appendicitis).  The rest of us would have died in
> childbirth or would have never been born.  That's pretty shocking for all
> of
> us.   Science and medical research are good things.
> ---------
> God bless
> Mary Ann (CG Jamie 66/26 with PD)
> -----------
>> While it is true that aging brings about deterioration and that
>> complicates
>> PD, young people are born with cystic fibrosis, a hideous disease which
>> took
>> my  cousin's son's life at age 35.  35 was once life expectancy.  45 was
>> life expectancy around 1900. 18 was supposedly life expectancy in the
>> Stone
>> Age and Roman Empire..
>>
>> This is the same mind set exhibited by people who have no knowledge of
>> disease and think you just get old and have to die of something.  Mary
>> Ann,
>> as

nurse and CG I'm surprised at your attitude.  As you must know young