Oil refiners add a percent mark-on to the price they pay for crude.
When the crude price goes up, so does the price for refined product.
It used to be that refiners such as Exxon, Chevron etc. were also in
the drilling business. Now they are mostly broken up into
"independent" companies.  I wonder just how "independent" they are.
Steve