Dear K.D.
It's only natural that we should be interested to the point of
preoccupation in discovering the cause of our condition.

Perhaps one difficulty in locating clusters is the apparently very
long lead time between onset of Parkinson's and recognition of
symptoms. My mother also had Parkinson's - diagnosed 10 years before
my own was. Perhaps we were both exposed to something when I was
still living at home. That could be in addition to her passing on
some troublesome gene or maladjusted mitochondria:-) Do we need to
look for other folks who lived in Southern New Jersey from 1954 -
1974? Perhaps we were exposed to something during one of our many
family trips. Very hard to track such things down without a massive
and detailed study of the lives and travels of PWP's.

The PDRecovery folks claim to find a correlation between PD and old
injuries to the feet. I find at least part of what they say plausible
but I don't know enough about their research methods to have an
opinion.

Steve

At 9:49 PM -0400 10/26/05, K. F. Etzold wrote:
>A recurring theme in dealing with PD is the quest for the cause(s) and
>ultimately a cure. The most recent discussion looks into the  potential
>connection between artistic talent and PD. There is  the more general
>question of connecting PD with chemical (pesticides), physical injuries
>or other stimuli. Recently there was also a brief thread on Pesticides
>and PD as caused or facilitated by Flea Bombs. Another recurring
>discussion is the connection to head injuries.  While weak correlations
>may exist  a real cause is yet to be found.
>
>It is very tempting to connect a given scenario to the appearance of PD
>as for instance with head injuries. However, the general observation is
>that the correlation is weak or in fact non existent.

... deleted for brevity