In spite of the claim below, I continue to assume that the oil
companies are willful participants in the raping of the consumer.
Every time there is a hint of a supply glitch, the price goes up
immediately.  I never notice the price go back down with such speed.
It would take a lot of convincing to get me to agree that they sit and
wait for the Saudis and Venezuelans to decide their level of profit.
I'm thinking the oil biggies will seize any opportunity, even a
national tragedy, to pump more profits out of our pockets.  Call me a
cynic.

I am planning to reduce my family's dependence on foreign oil and on
global corporations.  I'm selling my house in the suburbs, which were
designed around the car, and going back to the city where I grew up.
And I'm waiting for an affordable hybrid vehicle while I board
Buffalo's infamous 'subway to nowhere'.

It's too bad I can't do the same with drugs.  In the future I will
need more and more.  The limitations of capitalism really surface in
the health care industry.  What's in the future for me?  Probably I
will be sucked dry by hospitals, neurosurgeons, drug companies, and
some nursing home, if they can catch me.

Enjoy Fall!
Rick McGirr
Email: [log in to unmask]