Since this thread began, I have been querying my 3rd year engineering science
students.  It arose in my course because many of them have produced 5 pe as
their "literature review" for a case study project. I hadn't encountered this in
such abundance before -- in many iterations of the course -- but have a few
interesting responses from the students on this one.
1. it is the default position -- if ever they don't have a clear grasp of genre,
that is where they turn.
2. it is, thus, deeply ingrained.
3. it is also comfortable because they feel they know its weaknesses -- one
student said he knew it didn't really work even as he used it, but he said he
was used to his writing not working in that way, and usually it was "fine".

I've also been watching my son in grade 8.  He's learning the 5pe now. I only
hope that the school system will move him beyond it to that more flexible
"thesis-based argument"

Rob Irish