Hi Marco,

Thanks for your response to my message regarding the establishment of a
database for Parkinson's.  I do recall the questionnaire that you refer to  which
was distributed a few years ago.  I didn't participate in it myself,  as I
recall, for the same reasons you mention: that it would produce no  meaningful
results.  While I do appreciate the good intentions of  those who made the
effort to circulate the questionnaire I do  believe that if this is to be done and
if it is to be done effectively,  that it must be a major scale project
conducted through one of the National  agencies: NIH, CDC or EPA.  We certainly have
an abundance of agencies  whose sole reason for existence is to address
health issues: NIH,  CDC, EPA, IOM, DHHS, PEW, etc, etc, etc.  Could they do a more
effective  job with our tax dollars?  Is there a lack of coordination between
 these agencies that is causing a redundancy in their work?  Has anyone in
any of those agencies entertained the idea of a database?  These are my
questions and in my attempts to find answers, here is what I've come up  with to
date.

a)  The Center for Disease Control in partnership with the  Environmental
Public Health Administration (EPA) and the National Aeronauticlal  and Space
Administration (NASA) has
initiated a program called the "NATIONAL ENVIRONMENTAL PUBLIC HEALTH
TRACKING NETWORK  (EPHT).

I will post to the List more information on this program at a later  date.

b) Representative Lane Evans of Illinois, who himself suffers  from
Parkinson's disease, introduced a bill (H.R. 3550) in July of '05  called the Udall Act
Amendments which would work to strengthen the overall  coordination and
require more strategic planning of Parkinson's research  funds at the NIH.  It
would also secure the existence and funding review  process for the Udall Centers
program.  Finally (and this is most  important) HR 3550 requires the Centers
for Disease Control and  Prevention (CDC) and the NIH ...TO ADDRESS THE LACK OF
INFORMATION WE HAVE ABOUT  WHO HAS PARKINSON'S DISEASE AND WHY, WHICH WOULD
AID IN BETTER TARGETING  CRITICAL RESEARCH FUNDS.

As of Aug 5, H. R. 3550 was referred to the House  subcommittee on health.
This is the latest information I have seen on the  status of this bill.

For now, this is all the information that I can offer in regard to a
database for Parkinson's. I welcome input from others on the List with  their
thoughts of how we, as a group, can/should attempt to have an  influence on this
matter.

Dee