To Everyone,

I apologize for disappearing after I reintroduced the HOW DID WE GET HERE
ANYWAY SURVEY.
Unfortunately for me, the last Sunday in September I took a nasty fall, so
my time in front of the
PC has been quite limited.  Otherwise I would have sent messages every
couple of weeks to remind all of us that the HOW SURVEY is one of the rare
times when we have an opportunity for input.

The first time the survey was offered, I believe PIEN alone had somewhere
in the neighborhood of 1600 members.  We would have been satisfied  with

Initially, I remember receiving a call from someone a good many of us know
who advised
me that though the survey had much to offer, PDers wouldn't participate.
She had made many such attempts to no avail.
Disappointed and somewhat discouraged, we put the survey to rest - until
this year.

Maxlne Krugman, President of the Parkinson Association of the Sacramento
Valley, who has done and who is doing so much for PD as a whole saw the
survey's potential.  She got in touch with the Gerontology Dept., at
Sacramento State University.  They, in turn, were impressed with the
survey's  potential and assigned an intern to the project.  All we have
to do is participate!

True, the survey is long, but if we do 2 pages a day, we  can finish in a
week.  If more time is needed, let someone know you need more time.  Just
don't give up!  When all is said and done,
this survey, among other things, seeks to discover what if anything has
occurred in our lives that we have in common.

We look for answers about this trickster degenerative neuromuscular disease
that manipulates us on puppet strings.   We look for answers in every
message found in our e-mail everyday.   We laugh, cry and commiserate
together, but when we might be able to find some answers on our own that
might possibly contribute to  a better understanding of the time warp in
which we live, we choose to walk another path.  I remind all of us that we
know more of what is wrong with us than the medical  professionals who
write our prescriptions.  Many of these professionals want to understand
what our needs might be.  Until we supply some information that might prove
or disprove what  controls the
STRANGER WITHIN US, there is a great void that will continue to control
us, and we will go on venting our frustrations on  line or waiting in
silence.

Join me by copying the survey from www.parkinsonsacramento.org   Complete it
to the best of your ability.  Then send it to the address supplied.
Remember not to indicate your name unless you care to do so.   The HOW
SURVEY doesn't want your name.  It wants to know what has occurred in  your
life that may mirror what someone else has experienced!

Thanks to all of us for participating!

In friendship and caring,