  World

  Sports

  Business

 News >> Science

Why old habits die hard
New York | November 01, 2005 9:15:06 AM IST

Bad habits, as smokers know, are hard to break and easy to resume. A team of
cognitive scientists now offers a better understanding of why that is so.

Important neural activity patterns in a specific region of the brain change
when habits are formed, they change again when habits are broken, but quickly
re-emerge when something rekindles an extinguished habit -- routines that
originally took great effort to learn, says a new study in a Nature issue.

"We knew that neurons can change their firing patterns when habits are
learned, but it is startling to find that these patterns reverse when the
habit is lost, only to recur again as soon as something kicks off the habit
again," Ann Graybiel of the McGovern Institute of the Massachusetts Institute
of Technology (MIT) who led the study said in an MIT release.

The patterns in question occur in the basal ganglia, a brain region that is
critical to habits, addiction and procedural learning. Malfunctions in the
basal ganglia occur in Parkinson's disease, obsessive compulsive disorder
(OCD) and many neuro-psychiatric disorders.

"We tried to simulate the learning and forgetting of a habit," said Yasuo
Kubota, a research scientist in Graybiel's lab where experiments were
conducted on rats. "If a learned pattern remains in the brain after the
behaviour is extinguished, maybe that's why it's so difficult to change a
habit."

Graybiel said: "It is as though somehow, the brain retains a memory of the
habit context, and this pattern can be triggered if the right habit cues come
back."

"This situation is familiar to anyone who is trying to lose weight or to
control a well-engrained habit. Just the sight of a piece of chocolate cake
can reset all those good intentions," she said.

"Once we start, we run on autopilot -- until we stop. Certain disorders hint
at the potential importance of those spikes. Parkinson's patients, for
instance, have difficulty starting to walk, and obsessive-compulsive people
have trouble stopping an incessant activity.

"We are hopeful that this may be a key to understanding how to treat bad
habits like addiction, and also how to encourage good habits that benefit
health and happiness," Graybiel said.

"We think that these patterns will also help researchers to understand the
fundamental problems in disorders such as Parkinson's disease, OCD and
Tourette syndrome," she said.

 (IANS)