from a rabbi:

Rabbi Stanley Skolnik, Beth Sholom Reform Temple, Clifton

"Judaism, as I believe and teach, places great importance upon human life and the preservation of the health and dignity of the individual in both life and death. A controlling principle governing most others, and even setting aside many cherished practices such as observing Sabbath restrictions, is called "pikuach nefesh" (the saving of life). It is from this principle that a host of permissive behaviors derive in order to protect or save life, and in the case of the use of fetal material (especially unused embryos) it would seem self-evident that the potential value of their use should override other considerations.

A second Jewish principle which governs my beliefs is that of "bal tashchit," the Torah teaching that one should not waste or destroy anything of life or nature or of use to another. In this regard, I deem it unconscionable that an unwanted and unused embryo should be destroyed rather than respectfully used to improve human life and health. It is no different than discarding the usable organs of a dead person rather than transplanting them into the body of a living person who might benefit from a donated organ. It is not a question of when life begins, or even what constitutes death, but always how to save life while protecting the dignity of life and each human being.