Welcome to the group.  My name is Dolores  Buente.  I  came to this group
about 4 years ago when I had  just been diagnosed with Parkinson's myself.  I was
58 at time of diagnosis  but had made the rounds to doctors for about 2 years
 prior.  Like you, I wanted to learn all I could about this disorder  and
this group has been a great help.  I hope that you've contacted the  National
Parkinson Foundation or similar group and gotten their  informational packet on
Parkinson's.  With your daughter's nursing  background, you are probably ahead
in your knowlege than many of us were when we  came here first.

If you are anything like me, you were probably stunned and also somewhat
relieved when you were finally diagnosed.  I was so exasperated with  feeling bad
and knowing that things were not right with my body but having  nothing to
relate it to.  Even so, the first  year or so was pretty tough for me to adjust
to the  reality of it all.  It was a great gift to me that there was a place
such  as this group to meet with others who are living with this condition  and
share in their knowlege and support.  I don't know how  others had coped
before Al  Gore invented the internet :)

It's good that you're having a good response to your medication.  We  are
fortunate that there are drugs out there that can help us as much as they  do.
Your decision to join a local  support group sounds like a  good thing too.  I
find that visits to my neuro leave much to be desired in  the way of
information or support and I don't think that they can fully  relate to the issues that
we deal with daily.

Oh, by the way, we do get into the political issues that pertain to
Parkinson's too and if you are inclined to feel that you want to be a part of  this
conversation, we welcome your addition.  If you are not interested in  these
topics, you can just delete them and go on to the posts of your  choice.

Hope to hear from you soon so that we can get to know you  better.

Dee