On 5 Nov, 2005, at 06:17, Automatic digest processor (Rick McGirr)
wrote:

> The healthy ones don't appreciate how fragile their image and
> their independence are, nor do they realize the depth and breadth that
> still glows in the hearts of the afflicted.

Well said, sir.
My first encounter with Parkinson's was coming home from university to
my country village in England and one night finding Mick, the landlord
of our local pub, whom I'd know since I was a  kid, standing in his
kitchen with, as Rick puts it, his arm "wagging like a tail".
"The worst of it," he confided, "is that people see you shaking and
think you've gone soft in the head. Then they treat you like you're
some kind of idiot."
I've never forgotten that. Some years later my mother gets Parkinson's,
and then years later again, so do I. I think I'm old enough not to care
too much what people think. Still, I suppose I could be a bit worried
that they might get the idea when they see me tottering around that
"old Dave's drunk again" - especially when it's only ten in the
morning! So people need to be told before they get a chance to think.
Mostly what I tell them (and this usually does make them think) is that
there are really only two really important things in life: good health
and good friends.
David Thurston.