Ray,

We beat back thugs like Sam B. and "Dr." Dave Weldon of Florida, who is the House version of Brownback, by doing exactly what you and others like you are doing. Educating voters and elected officials about this kind of legislation and the real purposes and people behind it.

The Brownback/Weldon bills of 2002 and 2003 that would have criminalized scnt research, and jailed the scientists doing the research and the patients who might choose to be saved by it, passed by large margins in the House of Representatives, with little or no debate. Many congressmen admitted they hadn't even read the bills before voting.

It was only through intensive campaigns by patients and patient advocacy groups that this legislation was defeated in the Senate in both of those years. By 2004 the house bill never even got out of committee. This was a real testament to the power of patients and patient advocacy organizations like CAMR. JDRF and PAN to bring attention and legislative focus on the horrific content of the Brownback/Weldon bills.

Writing to your representatives, your newspapers, radio talk shows, and this patient network is what it takes. The public is now largely aware of the potential of stem cell research and overwhemingly favors it. Letting our elected representatives and others know that we care and we vote will keep "Sam and Dave" and their ilk from getting their "use your brain, go to jail" bills from becoming the law of the land.

Best,

Greg

rayilynlee <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

I have applied for Parkinson's research participation in South Korea and know if Brownback wins I could become a criminal.

I don't know what we can do to wake people up.
Rayilyn Brown

"Willy Loman never made a lot of money. His name was never in the paper. He's not the finest character that ever lived. But he's a human being, and a terrible thing is happening to him. So attention must be paid...Attention, attention must finally be paid to such a person." - Arthur Miller - Death of a Salesman