Dear Catherine,
  Not sure about the Sinemet causing psychotic episodes, for me it was the add on anti parkinsonian meds ie agonist drug Permax. When stopped my clarity of thought ability to concentrate etc returned although that's different to psychosis.
   I can recall a rather ugly episode when I stopped Tasmar ( a COMT inhibitor) abruptly and was convinced of things that hadn't even happened so I'm guessing that was a psychotic episode. Maybe it was the agonist Permax but the pharmacy was unable to obtain Tasmar and this was day three of suddenly having none.
  Hope this helps, a Neurologist told me that Sinemet is the gold standard drug and the other drugs (with my history) are not worth the risk of taking due to behavioural issues.
                                 Lee

Catherine Roberts <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
  My mother has rather advanced Parkinson's and has been suffering quite
serious psychotic delusions as a side effect (presumably) of the sinemet. Is
anyone aware of any non-surgical treatment alternatives that would address
the Parkinson's symptoms while minimizing the psychosis? I am aware of the
role of dopamine in all of this, but she has been trying to find the right
balance between the sinemet and the antipsychotic meds used to try and
control the psychosis for a long time with only limited success. If there
are any other treatment alternatives out there I would be grateful for any
information you could pass on. Thanks very much.