The following is from my niece, who understands, re my DBS story on CNN.com.
I don't think putting on a happy face gets it either, although I still like to laugh, Ray

"I like your story - although I don't think it really hit on the day to day things that are horrible - you know - cant cook, garden, brush teeth etc without thinking about the disease.

I like the picture of you and Spike.  Your life has always been worth something to me - and I'm sure that because you can speak for the thousands of PD patients that cant communicate anymore your life means a great deal to them"