I think there are both intellectual property issues and netiquette issues to consider.
When Barbara Blake-Krebs and I wrote the book "When Parkinson's Strikes Early" (2001),  which included excerpts from parkinsn list postings by a number of listmembers - our publisher required that we request and receive written permission to use any quoted text from the person who wrote it.
Almost everyone willingly gave their permission, but a few people, for whatever reason, did not want their words and thoughts originally meant for other listmembers to be published, and we respected their wishes.We also sought and received the permission of the list owners Barbara Patterson and John Cottingham.
It is not so much a matter of privacy anymore, since these days all of our postings are accessible to anyone on the Web, but still, i think it is a good practice to ask people first, if their postings are to be used in another format, such as a book or article.
Annette, I will be glad to send the you language we used for the permssion forms, if you'd like.
Linda Herman

-- NATHANIEL GREEN <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Hi all,

I'm new to the list, but I agree with this past statement, that the quotes taken from this list could very easily be assigned a source with simple searching.

So anonymity is definitely not guaranteed. It would be unfortunate for a journalist to publish information and have the people who believe this board is a safe place to share information (quietly) find that it is not.

NG

Arnie Kuzmack <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
I have no objection.

I would point out, for the information of list members, that
the precautions that Annette is taking to preserve anonymity
are not a guarantee. Given the capability of Web search
engines, it may well be possible (or become possible in the
future) to locate the source of a quote, particularly if it
is longer than a sentence or so.

I would suggest, as a precaution, that Annette make
non-substantive changes in the quotes, particularly the
longer ones.