  An illegal drug notorious for its use in nightclubs may actually benefit
victims of Parkinson's disease.
Research suggests that ecstasy may partially reverse symptoms similar to
Parkinson's in mice who are unable to produce the chemical dopamine in their
brains.
Dopamine helps to control movement, and is found lacking in those afflicted by
the disease.
"I once knew myself to be coordinated and athletic. I used to be a
runner," says David Eger. "I can't do that" anymore, he says.
Mice provided with the drug show promising results. "They went from a
situation when they completely frozen to ability to move quite significant
distance and pretty much normally," says Raul Gainetdinov of Duke University.
The researchers say the amphetamine works best when combined with the
Parkinson's drug L-Dopa, which has long-term side effects like the loss of
muscle control.
"You can use a much lower concentration of L-dopa. Then, that might, that
might do away with some of the side effects of the L-dopa treatment," says
Marc Caron of Duke University.
The treatment may have promise, according to Michael Hutchinson of New York
University.
"It might be useful in the later stages of Parkinson's where conventional
medications fail to work," he says.