Rick wrote:
The agents on both
sides of the deal assured us, along with the owner, who seemed to be
quite forthcoming with the info, that everything was fine.  And to my
surprise (not!) the foundation has continued to deteriorate.  In
short, we were hoodwinked.

I think it true in this as well as other situations, including medical (PD)
issues that the person(s) making the "diagnosis" (of the crumbling
foundation) was incompetent. If there is deliberate fraud or falsehood that
is relatively easy to detect. It is much harder when there is incompetence
because the person making the analysis makes a true (in his judgement)
observation. In fact a careful check, perhaps by second experts in the
field, would reveal the truth. Hence, the second opinion in medicine,
consultants in many other fields. So, in a way one can get hoodwinked by a
deliberate lie, or discover a problem caused by incompetence.  I am not
sure, but I think I am more afraid of incompetence because it is more
difficult to detect.

K. F. Etzold