>Religious and political squabbles only interfere with, and delay the
>search for >better treatment and possible cures, so why perpetuate
>them on this network?

Terry,

If your views are strongly held, as mine are, even tho differing,
those views are valid, and certainly have a direct effect on the
course of our common fight.  For example, it's the people who come
down on one side of the fence that have held up in the courts the $3
billion earmarked for controversial research.  If we are truly to
cooperate on defeating our little friend, we must be up front with
each other.  All thru life you and I have experienced people with more
or less of a penchant for self expression, some very agreeable, some
stuff you just don't need to hear, or wouldn't want to anyway.  That's
up to you.  But, for example, if someone objects to ESCR and cloning
on religious grounds, and will not support it in any way, and if such
research appears to be an area of major promise for treating disease,
naturally you're going to have people coming down strongly on both
sides of the issue.  I think it's definitely counterproductive to just
shut up about it.  It's undemocratic.  It leaves too much for the
powers that be to decide.  The little people, the people actually
afflicted, should speak with the loudest voices.  If the voice is
shrill, or carries a statement that evokes strong responses, or if the
speaker is immovable or just wrong, that's part of living with 6
billion other people.  Rare is the place where one can go to acheive
true silence.  And here, in web-land, where the words sit silently
waiting for you to read them, may be the best place to thoughtfully
express those views.  And what I can say about this listserv is that
just about everything I've ever read here has been thoughtfully
contributed, no matter the position.

Terry, I'm just a free-speech kind of guy, and I've learned here
something about focusing on the bottom line, and about not letting
what someone says trigger a barrage of rhetorical foam from me.  But
I'm willing to live next door to any one of y'all.  I'll put up with
your country music if you'll put up with my heavy metal, so to speak.
Both can be really noisy, but both have common roots.

Respectfully,
Rick McGirr
Email: [log in to unmask]