Hi, Debbie,

I have always resisted taking medications under the general heading of
eating chemicals.  As a Person With Parkinson's (PWP) I still minimize
drug intake.  I am still resisting the main symptom-treating drug,
Carbidopa/Levidopa, because of its nasty long-term side-effects.  But
I do take two other drugs to help me put off the start of C/L therapy.
Those are selegiline, a neuro-protector, and requip, a neuro-receptor
stimulator.  These drugs make me sleepy, at times very sleepy.  But to
keep on top of my symptoms, the tremor on the right side of the body,
the tightness and stiffness which never goes away, I choose to take
them faithfully, to help me make the most of whatever productive time,
great or small, that I may have left.

Really, the most aggravating part of PD is the uncertainty, not
knowing how fast our little friend intends to take me down.  But if
you truly have PD, and I would advise you to come to that conclusion
very patiently and to verify it, at some point you'll be dealing with
a host of medication choices, and you may have to do some trial and
error before you find a drug or combo of drugs that works for you.

By the way, if you only waited a month for an appt., count yourself
lucky.  My neuro is untouchable less than three months in advance, and
I'm not a new patient.  I'm sure our Canadian members can chime in on
the subject of waiting for healthcare...

This is a great place to be, to share with others in the same boat,
and as a resource for info and more.  Welcome, and good luck.

Enjoy Fall!
Rick McGirr
Email: [log in to unmask]