Here is an excerpt of the controversy.  As near as  I can understand the bigger question is the authenticity of the stem cell lines being raised by a TV station.  The egg thing is kind of like applying an ex post facto law - it wasn't illegal when it was done.  The reaction of the SKorean public is like our "my country right or wrong" attitude re the Iraq war  Advertising has been withdrawn from the TV station.  Blaming the messenger seems to be a universal practice.

Ray

A South Korean advisory panel will look into ethical lapses, but the government has shown its support for Hwang, and said last week it will designate Hwang's stem cell research as a core technology to help him win patent rights overseas.

More than 700 women have pledged to donate their eggs for Hwang's research.

The South Korean broadcaster MBC, which aired a program critical of egg procurement for Hwang's research, has lost advertisers and been the subject of picketing campaigns. It plans to soon air a segment saying Hwang's basic research may be faulty.