Rick, you wrote:

"I think it's definitely counterproductive to just
shut up about it.  It's undemocratic.  It leaves too much for the
powers that be to decide... I'm just a free-speech kind of guy..."

I certainly am not opposed to the idea of free-speech and did not advocate silence in general. We  probably agree, more than disagree on things. However as a scientist I do not think it would be appropriate to go to a fundamentalist church meeting and try to talk about the fossil evidence of evolution, nor if I were religious would it be appropriate or useful to go to a geological conference and try to talk about how god created the earth in seven days. To do either is just cluttering up the agenda or focus of discussion at either group's meeting.
I am not all that familiar with the internet, but I am sure there are appropriate sites, groups or communities where discussion of the ethics of scientific research and related political discussion is encouraged. However I don't think this network is the best place to do that. Constant comments and comeback comments beget more comeback comment and so on, which are in my view just cluttering up what I see as a PD support network.  A network or community who's focus should be on meds, side-effects, promising new research, medical disappointments, personal difficulties, beneficial therapies, friendly encouragement, and even political news or lobbying efforts if it relates to PD. In my view it should not be sidetracked into esoteric arguments about ethics, evolution and what a scientific theory is!
As such, and to keep the clutter down, this will be my last comment on this matter.

With respect,
Terry Robertson