i worked long and hard , hand-in-hand with my state representative (who
is by-the-by a Republican) David Leitch to pass, celebrate, get the word
out and helped impliment the nation's first cord blood law. Illinois was
the first state to pass this no-brainer of a law, which requires that
all pregnant women be asked during their second trimester by their OB if
they would like to donate the cord blood (the umbilical cord and the
afterbirth) to be used for medical research rather than be incinerated
as waste. while these are not the embryonic stem cells that we are all
waiting for the laws to change to allow to be used for research, in the
meantime, it is a good thing to get behind and to have passed in your
home state. it is not controversial, everybody wins with this. since the
inception of this program, illinois has collected tens of thousands of
cord blood samples and gotten scores of usable "juvinelle" stem cells.
my friend and Bradley University researcher and professor has made the
most of what is available to him and had numerous breakthroughs using
cord blood stem cells, sure, he'd like to get embryonic stem cells and
feels that it is beyond reason to eleminate any cells from research that
could possibly help people, he is going ahead with groundbreaking
experiments each day. he has learned that neurons have 'voices' with
which they communicate to other neurons and he has been able to grow
stem cells into neurons that have the ability to 'talk' just like the
original neurons. just think of the possibilities and the wonders that
they will find when we finally get the embryonic cells, but in the
meantime, he is making do with what he has. i don't think that this is
any way detrimental to the House and Senate bills pending that will
allow embryonic stem cell research; but it does open the nay-sayers
minds to the possibilities and the idea of stem cells being good and
helpful and able to help cure disease and then it isn't such a far leap
to embrace embryonic stem cell research. so, i thinik that cord blood
laws, even if they do not directly have an impact on pd, they do allow
more stem cells to be out there and available for research....this is
just the way i feel about it. it in no way takes away my commitment to
push for passage of the bill before Congress at this time. j

--
Joan Blessington Snyder   54/14
http://www.pwnkle.com/jes/jes_web/index.htm