i was honored to host a reception/presentation/press conference for Dr.
Craig Cady, a noted and brilliant stem cell researcher in Peoria, IL at
Bradley University. altho invited, Governor Rod Blagoojevich has not
been able to break away from Chicago to make a tour of this marvelous
lab. (i have been bothering his poor aide in scheduling by calling him
two times a week for the past 6 months-adhering to that old "it's the
sqeeky wheel that gets the oil" form of politicing!) we were thrilled
some months ago when he announced that he had earmarked $10 million
dollars for stem cell research and we are hoping to generate interest in
Dr. Cady's research to funnel some of that money to central Illinois
rather than see it all go to Chicago. So far, I have not been able to
get him to make the trip down to Peoria. The state's two Senators, whom
I am friendly with (Barrak Obama & Dick Durbin) as well as my US
Congressmen friends (Lane Evans & Ray LaHood) were still in session and
unable to attend. But we had an a wonderful turnout without the "big
gun" politicians. State Rep. David Leitch, Dr. Dick Lister, Dr. Robert
Bolla, and lots of the Board of Regents as well as the proviso of
Bradley were there. Also the press turned out in legion. and so did
representatives from United Way,Community Foundation, PeoriaNEXT!, U of
I Collage of Medicine, the head of the Movement Disorder Clinic at
Methodist Hospital and concert promoter Jay Goldberg were all in
attendence. the setting was the Bradley Student Center's Alumni Dining
Room and started at 10:30 in a festive setting of red, green & gold
ribbon, candy canes & candles. i had the opportunity to thank all those
who had helped me plan, organize and pull off CALIPSO'S Shake, Rattle &
Roll for Parkinson's Disease. Then I presented awards to some of the
main players in my fundraising efforts. Finally, I was able to present
to Dr. Craig Cady, two checks; one for $1.060 raised in England by Peter
and Nancy Boot at their fundraiser for PD called "Fill Your Head With
Rock" concert. they had visited Dr. Cady's lab while in town for S,R&R
and were so impressed that they went home and raised the money that he
was thrilled to recieve. i then had the distinct pleasure to award Dr.
Cady with a check for $10,000 from Calipso's first 'keep the funds
local' fundraising attempt. i cannot tell you the high hopes and the
strength of commitment to finding a cure for PD that emminated from that
gathering. i am including this blurb from the Peoria Journal Star:

/The Stem Cell Research Lab and Dr. Craig Cady received more than
$11,000 Friday - $1,060 from Pete and Nancy Boot and $10,000 from the
recent "Shake, Rattle and Roll for Parkinson's Disease" fund-raiser./

/"Most people don't realize how hard it is," Cady said in receiving the
funds. "Many of the people helping in this fund-raiser suffer from
Parkinson's disease."/

/Cady, concert promoter Jay Goldberg and State Rep. David Leitch cited
Joan Blessington Snyder, who spearheaded the effort despite her own
battle with the disease. Leitch says, "Clearly, there could be no
greater advocate in the country for research on Parkinson's disease."
/

A heartfelt thank you to all who helped and attended this funciton and
the earlier event.

--
Joan Blessington Snyder   54/14
http://www.pwnkle.com/jes/jes_web/index.htm