There is no doubt that the Hwang fiasco has given hESCR a black eye.  So while our Congress dilly dallies on the  proposed legislation we wait and wait and wait.  Does anyone think there will be a cure soon?

The right-wing Alliance Defense Fund, founded by among others, James Dobson, is busy trying to stop the state of Missouri from allowing this research.  Opponents of hESCR are well-financed, organized, and very dedicated - they have stalled research in California where the people voted for it.

Now is not the time to give up.  Please, if you support hESCR, speak up.

Ray

"SEOUL (Reuters) - A South Korean scientist whose work is under intense scrutiny hit back at his accusers on Friday, saying he had proof his team had made patient-tailored stem cells this year and he would produce the evidence soon.

Hwang Woo-suk told a televised news conference at Seoul National University that five frozen stem cells were in the process of being thawed for analysis. He expected results in 10 days.

"Our six research members made 11 stem cells and all confirmed this," said Hwang. Some cells had been contaminated by a fungus and he planned to ask prosecutors to investigate his suspicion they may have been tampered with or replaced.

"Who, with what intention, by what measure, who did such a thing?" he said. "I believe this must be unearthed."

The case has wide ramifications for the already controversial field of stem-cell research and for the prestige of South Korea, where Hwang has become a folk hero."