What a great statement.  Thanks Theresa. You are on my must read list.

Rob Ramsey
----- Original Message -----
From: "Theresa Rehtom" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Saturday, December 24, 2005 7:07 AM
Subject: Medical frauds: Korean scientist hardly the first

> I am not against this research out of hand.  I am against research without
controls.  I am against blindly following the lead of people that you
believe support a cause.  I am against the growing popular opinion that the
end justifies the means.  I am against the use of one measure or right for
one person and another for someone who supports your own cause.  The same
measure of right and wrong must be used for all and I would expect a
vehement condemnation of this fraud from this community instead of excuses.

> What I find interesting is that when I first questioned the ethics of this
person I was shot down by the leading proponents of this research.  I
indicated that the initial questions of ethics were a sign of some sloppy
work that could cast doubt on the research.  I was told in so many words
that this was minor and that this work was great.

> Now that it appears to be a complete fraud what we hear are not words of
betrayal but excuses.  For so long we have heard from those who seem to have
the loudest voices in this forum how great Korea was in this research and
how far ahead of the US they were and what a shame it was.  Now we see that
it was a complete fraud.

> It is unfortunate that when the liberals on this site see they are
betrayed by one of their hero's they immediately try to turn the tables an
show that this person was not the only one who defrauded.  In that manner
they want to deflect the criticism that is justly due to those who act in an
un ethical manner.  We will soon hear how this is the work of President Bush
and the evil Republican right wing Christian extremists.

> I wonder what an uproar there would be here if this were some hint of
fraud on the part of the US government true or untrue.  It would be extreme.
It's about time that the liberals here denounce this work as a betrayal of
the scientific community.  It is a betrayal and it will set back the
research that it was reported to lead.  What a shame.

> I would expect that type of response but will not see it here.  I suppose
there will be additional excuses and an increase of condemnation of those
who may hold some religious opinion on this matter.

> For the record, I am not a religious person, I do respect people who have
religion, I'm not sure of the nature of God.  My opinions are formed form
what I feel in my heart.  From what feels right to me and what feels wrong.
I don't really need any one from either side to tell me what is right or
wrong.  In my opinion this man committed crimes, he was a bad scientist, he
set back this research and he deserves to be stripped of all his credibility
and his research should be trashed.  The people on this site should condem
him without excuses or attacking others as a diversion from the fact that
they were so easily missled.

> Love to all who will accept it...
>
> Theresa

mailto:[log in to unmask]