when i was born, some 54 years ago, my parents named me Joan
Blessington. that's it-no middle name, just Joan. my dad insisted that
one patron saint was enough and when that patron was Joan of Arc, she
would be all that i needed to protect me and give me the courage and
strength that i would need growing up. joan of arc has always been my
hero and my role-model. when i got bullied during grade school, i would
flee into the safety of Joan's protection and it was all i needed to
outlive the bullying and become popular on my own, without ever having
to resort to being a bully myself. as i grew older, i constantly read
about Joan and her ability to say "yes" to God when even her own Church
would wound her so mortally. i am a Catholic and it greatly disturbed me
that the Princes of the Church could lable her a sinner & a witch and
say that the voices she heard were from satan. and i wondered how in the
world a little girl could stand up to the one-sided & absolutely single
minded politics of the time. and she went to her death with more courage
and strength than i could ever hope to emulate. i was outraged when i
thought of how they later said: "oops, sorry, our mistake, she was
indeed a saint." my house is filled with Joan of Arc pictures, mementos
and collectables (not that i am obsessive about Joan, i also have lots
of things about the Beatles, frogs & collections of cobalt blue glass &
also of birthday angels). i have been called joan of rome (i live in
Rome, Illinois) in a front page article in my diocesian newspaper. the
article dealt with the struggle that had raged within me for the past 16
years, trying to balance my Catholic faith and my belief in the need for
embryonic stem cell research, using Joan of Arc to help me to come to
some viable solution that i could live with. then one day, while
visiting the stem cell research lab of my frind, Dr. Craig Cady at
Bradley University, he asked me if i would like to see some actual stem
cells. as i looked into the microscope and saw these funny looking,
squishy little moving around thangs-i thought to myself "so this is what
all the fuss is about."
And then i felt the presence of God, more strongly than i have felt His
presence, even during Communion. This wasn't the anrgy, judgemental God
who makes people suffer becasue they are interfering with His plan for
human reproduction, but rather a gentle & understanding God who
enveloped me in His embace and whispered to me: "look what knowledge i
have given you...but it must be used wisely for the good of mankind." it
was at that moment that i realizeed that the Catholic Church only
mirrors the attitudes & the ideas of the people (those in charge & to a
much lesser extent the laity of the Church) and that those attitudes and
policies can only be changed from changing people's minds one by one.
some i iknow, are beyond changing, but like Joan of Arc, she would never
quit until her mission was accomplished. now whether it is getting my
butt back up after one of the twenty or so times a day that i fall or in
my work to help make stem cell research a reality, or even if it is just
raising awareness, my first call for help is to Joan of Arc. Even though
it seemed as if her Church had deserted her, she never lost sight of the
goal-to serve God no matter what happened to her.

--
Joan Blessington Snyder   54/14
http://www.pwnkle.com/jes/jes_web/index.htm