-- Inge Clody <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
THIS IS WONDERFUL NEWS
HOWEVER...........
HOW LONG WILL IT TAKE BEFORE IT IS FDA APPROVED?

Yes, GDNF is very promising therapy, however this research using stem cell or gene therapy delivery methods is in pre-clinical stages, and  is still years away from clinical use.
An article in The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, dec.15, 2005, stated that,

"..The study's findings are fascinating and the approach clearly shows promise, said Bradley Hiner, an assistant professor of neurology at the Medical College of Wisconsin who treats Parkinson's patients at Froedtert Memorial Lutheran Hospital.

However, it is a disservice to Parkinson's patients to call it a potential new treatment. Doing so gets their hopes up when clinical trials likely are years away, he said.

"It's a little premature to think about this as a potential treatment for humans when only three primates were done and the results were equivocal at best," Hiner said. "There's obviously quite a bit of work before anyone is getting this transplanted into humans."

HOWEVER, GDNF, delivered by a pump infusion method has been used to successfully treat 15 advanced PD patients for a number of years in 2 Phase I clinical trials (at the Un. of Kentucky and at Frenchay Hospital in Bristol, UK). Their treatments and further human clinical trials were halted by Amgen,( the biotech company that produced the GDNF) for controversial reasons. An autopsy of one of the trial participants showed evidence of neuronal growth in his brain.

The trial participants and other PD advocates have been campaigning for over a year to convince Amgen to provide compassionate use of the treatment for the trial subjects, and restart the clinical trials.
This infusion form of delivery of GDNF could be available years before
gene therapy or stem cell delivery is expected to be available, but Amgen holds the patent and so far is refusing to develop it further or lease it to another company.

For more about this issue, see:

http://pdpipeline.org/gdnf_overview.htm
http://www.grassrootsconnection.com/
and a video of before and after GDNF treatment
http://www.grassrootsconnection.com/grcissue_GDNF_research.htm#View_film

Linda Herman

Inge Clody
Minado, Reg.